Christ Church Philadelphia, known as the birthplace of the Episcopal Church and a historic site for the country, is a progressive and public parish that comprises several areas: the worshiping community, the music program, the Farmer’s Market, artists and performers who utilize Neighborhood House , and the thousands who come here yearly for educational experiences. We have a vibrant, team-oriented staff, dedicated and highly skilled lay leadership, and volunteers in every aspect of parish life.
We seek a fulltime clergy assistant to the Interim Rector who can partner with us in the range of normal parish activities, as well as support the special activities and reflections of this exciting year of transition, as we search for a new installed rector
Skills and Gifts for Ministry
• A commitment to work collaboratively and creatively with fellow staff, clergy and lay people
• A mature understanding of one’s gifts for ministry with a call to support others in discovering and sharing their gifts for ministry
- Strong, seasoned preaching skills
• An ability with and commitment to work with our youth, young adult (the Bridge), and newcomers (Journeys class) programs
- Tends to one’s own spiritual health and growth while helping others cultivate theirs
• A willingness to lead in times of change and transition
• Outstanding communication skills and basic proficiency in information technology
• A love for developing relationships with people of all ages
• A self-starter, who has a sense of humor, and an authenticity in sharing their own faith journey with the people they serveResponsibilities and Expectations
• Cultivating disciples of all ages: planning, leading, and teaching Christian formation
• Assisting Interim Rector and Director of Music with liturgical leadership and supporting and coordinating with the Director of Music and the Parish Administrator
• Preaching and presiding at the Holy Eucharist
• Pastoring and presence with the vestry
• Providing pastoral care for all ages
• Preparing for and presiding at weddings, funerals, and baptisms
• Supporting and contributing to parish communications, including social media
• Participating in weekly staff meetings
• Participating in regular supervision with the Interim Rector
• Participating in the life and ministry of the Diocese of Pennsylvania Support, Salary and Benefits
• This is a full-time position.
• Scholarship and housing allowance provided according to compensation guidelines for assisting clergy in the Diocese of Pennsylvania.
• One month, including 5 Sundays, of vacation, one week of continuing education
• Other standard clergy benefits, including family leave, health and dental insurance, and retirement plan (Church Pension Fund).